5.29.2008

New Attitude goodness

~Charlie's Thoughts~

So some of us have just returned from New Attitude, so I thought I'd give you a summary.

In short, it was amazing. Yes, it was great to be with 3,499 other godly singles, singing, praying and fellowshipping together. Yes, John Piper, CJ Mahaney, Mark Dever, Al Mohler and Josh Harris are incredibly gifted speakers. And yes, the NA Band is quite talented. But all this would have meant nothing if God were not present. But He was! Every worship time was wonderfully joyful, and I could feel the Holy Spirit's real presence. As we sung time-honored songs, He made their truths really clear to me. I found myself jumping for joy all week. Meanwhile, the messages, all centered around the theme of valuing God's word, were very interesting and immensely practical. Every morning we also had community groups (kinda like care groups with 300+ people) where we discussed the previous day's messages. Although I thought my use of the bible was actually a strong suit of mine coming in, I quickly realized how much I can grow. The Bible is not a task, something that is read every day like a school textbook. It is the words of God, speaking to me, more beautiful and more worthy than anything you can imagine- my delight. Also, I realized how much I need that time spent meditating on God's words every day in order to keep from being bogged down in my self-concern. And finally, I need to memorize scripture so it's there with me in temptation.

What you should do:
- Download the messages: http://www.newattitude.org/liveblog/
- At the above site, you can view the live blog written at the conference, which summarizes the messages
- Before listening to the messages, list here what you currently do as far as daily devotions if you like. The point is not to compare but to share helpful techniques you have used or confess areas where you are not as strong.
- After listening to the messages, post what you think you should change about your view of the Bible

I will ask Stephen and Ming, who were also at the conference to sum up their thoughts as well for your encouragement.

In Christ,
Charlie

No comments: