5.20.2008

Grace

~Eli's Musings~

Psalm 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his
name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will
fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they
comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You
anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and
I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

As I was reading this text tonight I was reminded of the
wonderful and merciful grace that God has shown us. This shows us
that he is our provider and protector in all times. Though this
passage brings forth many interpretations, his grace has stood out to
me. As Paul wrote to the Ephesians that it is by Grace that we are
saved, through faith and not of ourselves, it is the gift of God.
The song we sang this past Sunday still rings in my mind of the
grace upon grace falling down. Who am I but once an object of wrath by
my very nature to receive the blessings of a holy God? I dare but
look in the mirror and see the scars of a darkened path of being lost
and seeking the treasures and pleasures of my own heart and I ask why
such a sinner as me would receive any grace at all?
But I am reminded that he loved me first and he formed me in my
mother's womb and though my first cry was a cry of unknowing selfish
want. I see the father looking down and him knowing the wonderful
things that I would be able to do for his kingdom, and not my own.
For he knows all things; and everything is possible through him.
Every time I humble myself, regardless of where I am, I stand in
amazement of his grace. It is enough! It overfills the cup that I hold
and drink. Nothing is more satisfying knowing that it will never dry and
never stop overflowing the cup of my life. I am a very blessed
(young) man to have received the grace of the father to be saved
through my faith in him. There's no turning back now that we follow Christ. Then again who would want to turn back to the emptiness of this world? If I could go
back, I'd beat some sense into my formal self and point him in the
right direction. What a joy it is to serve among brothers and sisters
of Grace Community Church who have a genuine love for the father, what
a blessing. I hope this brings some encouragement or strengthens your week
and remember what Brent spoke about Sunday about the punishment and
pain that Christ suffered on the cross for each and every one of us.
What a sacrifice! Just the very thought of the pain that he suffered
numbs me to the very core and gives me a greater appreciation of God's
love for me.

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we
may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Hebrews 4:16

1 comment:

Charlie Mulligan said...

How true this post is! Even as I have struggled with sin recently, I know God's grace remains the same. Maybe my favorite verse of all time is simply Jesus's statement that "It is Finished!" Such overwhelming grace and mercy! How grateful I am.

How about you all? Did this post encourage you? Do you feel empowered by grace? Do you feel grateful for grace?