10.14.2008

"How to have a conversation with the Teenage Brain"




This morning as I went to read the comics in the Charlotte Observer, I saw a article called "How to have a conversation with the Teenage Brain." Interesting. As a I read it found out some very fascinating things.

Scientists now know that the part of the brain responsible for making judgments, setting priorities and controlling impulses – the prefrontal cortex – is one of the last areas to mature. It continues to develop until the 20s.

Adolescents are believed to take more risks because their prefrontal cortex is immature. They have a hard time seeing the consequences of their actions.

Wow! Talk about low expectations, and they're even coming up with excuses for behavior issues! There also is more said on how parents should communicate with their teen, if you're intersted at http://www.charlotteobserver.com/104/story/251280.html.

3 comments:

Aly said...

I found this article very insiteful, and I even agreed with her about some things, but this is a clear example of low expectations.

Aly said...

By the way, if you click on the picture it'll be easier to read.

Anonymous said...

wow. thats sad.


This is a comment from a parent who read the same link.

"My sons are 27 and 30 - I have learned a lot!!! (Totally different from when they were 6 and 9.)I always picked them up from activities if I could, rather then car pool - looking straight ahead they had no problem talking.
When they were in college - they wanted to talk when they called - not always when I called. Don't get upset - they are trying to grow up. (Use the internet - write in short statements - they can't handle any more.)I don't think young people really understand where your coming from until
they are dealing with their own kids.
We've spoiled them rotten - let them stand on their own - just let them know
you are there - and you will give them a soft place to fall...."

do hard things.

-Nick